1 (a). Is it right that the number of Senators has been reduced, thus limiting
the choice for Islanders as a whole to choose their political leaders?
1 (b). If no, what would you seek to do about it?
2. The States Pension age is going to be progressively increased over the next few years. Would you support legislation preventing employers from compulsorily retiring people who have not yet qualified for their pension, to prevent them being left without any income other than such welfare as they may qualify for?
3 (a). Would you support measures to stabilise the population at current levels?
3 (b). If not, how do think Jersey can accommodate further population growth?
4. Who will have your support to be the next Chief Minister?
5. Would you like Jersey to move towards a more progressive tax system?
6. Do you think GST should be retained in its present form, abolished, reduced or increased?
7 (a). Is Ministerial Government working the way it was envisaged?
7 (b) If not, what would you do to remedy the situation?
8. With the long-term stagnation of the housing market, the private rental sector is once again growing in importance. Would you support an overhaul of tenancy law to strike a fairer balance of rights and duties between residents and landlords?
9. Do you have a view on whether the extensive importation of UK Civil Service managers on short contracts is beneficial, or whether there should be more emphasis on career development for local civil servants?
10. Which, if any, public services would you like to see the States cutting?
11. Would you support increased Social Security contributions, ring fenced to protect future pension & health benefits, but not as a way of raising income for the Treasury.
Wayne P le Marquand:-
1(b) I would not have the constables in the states, they should remain in the parish. I would use the deputies to represent the parishes in the states.
3(a) Definitely yes.
4 I do not feel it appropriate to say until after the elections.
5 I believe all companies should pay 1% not zero in the zero to ten system.
6 It should be abolished and subsidised by 1% company tax.
7(b) Return to elected committee system majority decision to be ratified by ministers, scrap toothless scrutiny.
9 Use local expertise.
10 Using up annual budgets.